Lyme disease is commonly thought to be a tick-borne illness that acts as a gateway for numerous co-occurring infections.
These parasites make the body highly toxic as it deals with their waste products. Not only do all parasites live off the body, robbing us of nutrients, they also burrow into and live off of our flesh, wrecking havoc with the particular organ or tissue it is inhabiting.
Because ticks carry numerous bacteria, it is not unusual to be infected with one or more co-occurring infections simultaneously. These co-occurring infections have exotic names like Bartonella, Babesia, Leshmania, Plasmodium, Toxoplasma, Rikettsia, Mycoplasma, Leptospirosis, and many others.
The Lyme parasites also co-exist with more traditional parasites like round worms, tape worms, and hook worms; bacteria like H Pylori, and Chlamydia; fungal infections like candida albicans; and viruses like Herpes Simplex, Parvovirus, and Epstein bar.
Many Lyme sufferers also show heightened antibodies to molds such as Aspergillus and Stachybotrys, as well as multiple food, pollen, and chemical sensitivities.
Mold spores are neurotoxic, so limiting exposure is imperative. As discussed on the food sensitivity page, poorly tolerated foods are also highly toxic to the body.
Borrelia burgdorferi is the main parasite implicated in Lyme disease. B burdoferi is in the same family of parasites that one is infected with when he/she gets syphilis, which is well known for causing insanity in its later stages. Because the Lyme spirochete can infest the brain, it can also cause insanity. This is why it can be misdiagnosed as Alzheimer’s disease and cause numerous psychological symptoms.
Spirochetes screw themselves into and through human tissue.
Because of this screwing action they move more easily through dense tissue than through liquid blood. They are also infinitesimally small. So small, in fact, that most normal microscopes entirely miss seeing them, which is why it is estimated that 80% of the tests given for Lyme disease are inaccurate. I've also read that misdiagnosis is common because people with weakened immune systems don't produce antibodies to the parasite. Therefore, common antibody tests are often false negative. One of the best labs for receiving an accurate diagnosis is Igenex Lab, but there is quite a controversy that rages about any laboratory that finds evidence of Lyme disease. Igenix Lab also test for other tick borne bacteria, as well.
The popular mythology is that Lyme disease is rare, but all the alternative MDs I follow believe otherwise.
In fact, they believe it may be a primary causative factor in a lot of diseases of “unknown origin” and that it can hang around doing its damage for 10, 20, 30 or more years. I know for a fact that mine lasted twenty or more years before I had the good fortune to heal it. Please see my page on how I healed it for further information.
Besides Alzheimer’s disease, Lyme disease is often commonly misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Parkinson’s disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Motor Neuron disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease, multiple chemical sensitivity, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, as well as numerous chronic psychiatric disorders. It can affect every organ and tissue in your body.
Because its waste products are toxic to the neurons, and also because the spirochetes can bore themselves into the brain, it produces many diseases that affect one’s mental health, as well as the nerves.
Until the spirochetes are killed, no herbal or nutritional cleansing regime will accomplish the job it was intended to do, for one will be continuously polluted from within despite the cleansing herbs they take or the nutritious food they eat.
Other diseases associated with Lyme disease are Bells Palsy, Encephalitis and Encephalopathy, short-term memory loss, blurred vision, Tinnitus, TMJ, adrenal fatigue, GERD, sciatica, shortness of breath, palpitations, tachycardia, chest pains, abdominal pains, diarrhea, IBS, testicular or pelvic pain, urinary incontinence or urgency, dizziness, tremors, and hepatitis.
Frequent, severe headaches and fatigue are also quite common, as well as skin rashes, dermatitis, metabolic and endocrine dysfunction, pelvic pain, weight loss or weight gain, optic neuritis, dry eyes, and sensitivity to light. Any combination of unexplainable symptoms can be present that can seem to have nothing to do with each other. However, these can all be symptoms of other things, as well, so don't jump to conclusions until you've had a definitive test.
Four to six weeks after a tick bite, Borrelia burgdorferi spreads itself throughout the body. You may or may not get a bull's eye rash, which some experts say only happens in about 10 % of cases. However, I’ve also read other experts that claim the rash happens 80 % of the time. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in-between. I’ve read that this rash is actually caused by an allergy to tick saliva and not by the spirochetes themselves.
Eventually, one feels as though they’ve got the flu for their body will ache all over from swollen lymph glands. However, these flu-like symptoms are not accompanied by the coughing, sneezing, and runny nose of true flu. You may then get a fever, headache, neck ache, and muscle pain. It is common for your knees and other large joints to swell, which is why it is commonly misdiagnosed as Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Since the spirochetes live in spinal fluid and hide in the lymph nodes along the spine they can be very difficult to kill.
In fact, because all living things want to survive, pathogens develop specific skills and abilities to do so. Parasites, viruses, and bacteria are no different. It seems that Borrelia burgdorferi has become an expert at evading detection by the human immune system, which acts as if it does not exist. Consequently, because the human body frequently does not develop antibodies to the disease, I've read that if you are bitten by another tick after you’ve been healed of Lyme disease, you can get it again.
In the preface of her book Beating Lyme by Constance Bean, Dr. Lesley Fein, MD says that “Borrelia burdorferi enters the body via the skin and then travels to the local nerves and lymphatic channels, where it penetrates the blood stream and rapidly invades the brain long before the host has a single symptom. The bacteria can be isolated in spinal fluid within hours of being bitten.” She says it then “starts playing games with your immune system and causes non-specific activation of all immune cells resulting in a clinical presentation that looks exactly like Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis.” She also says that the symptoms of autoimmune disease can be so severe that only the most powerful pharmaceutical medications can stop it. This must be done “while also trying to rid Lyme sufferers of the underlying infection at the same time.”
Lyme disease goes through at least three specific stages and possibly more, according to some authors.
When it is in the cyst stage, it is dormant and is difficult to kill until the cysts hatch into spirochetes. Also, when it is in the cyst stage, all symptoms of disease improve. This accounts for what is thought of as the remission stage in a variety of illnesses, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis, that goes through this up and down pattern. When the spirochetes are incubating, you get better. When they are hatching and active, you get worse. In the third and final stage, called the L-form, which is cell wall deficient, the spirochetes incorporate themselves into every cell in your body and secrete a protective coat to evade detection by the immune system. At that point, your disease is labeled chronic.
It is this ability to shape-shift that have given B borgdorferi its special ability to survive. According to Jule Klotter, in an article published in the July 2009 issue of the Townsend Newsletter, when the spirochetes feel threatened, it shifts into the cyst form.
The cysts can produce granules and something called blebs that carry the parasites DNA. This DNA will re-infect the host after the spirochetes have been killed by antimicrobials.
In the digestive tract and elsewhere the spirochetes burrow into the tissue and then covers itself with a toxic substance that protect it from being killed by normal parasite medication, both herbal and pharmaceutical, which is one of the reasons why it may take two or more years of continuous antibiotic use to kill it. Sometimes antibiotics are given through IV’s, which are, according to Constance Bean (Beating Lyme) extremely expensive. It was through IV administered antibiotic therapy that she was finally able to heal her Lyme disease.
In the biofilms the spiral form is often lost and replaced by cystic forms, granules, blebs, or the cell-wall deficient L-form.
L-forms are not as easy to identify as the spirochetes and are exceedingly difficult to kill. They also live with other microorganisms in the biofilm, where they form communities that seem to communicate with each other. When threatened, community members will share DNA with each other, thus improving their chances of survival. They can also mutate very quickly from one form to another when they feel threatened.
In her article in the Townsend Newsletter, Jule Klotter goes on to say: “In a sense, they create a protective fort that withstands the body’s defenses and resists antimicrobial therapies. Even if antibiotics kill much -even most- of a community, ‘persister’ cells survive to rebuild.”
Many alternative healers believe that, in order to heal Lyme disease, one must remove this biofilm using a specific protocol for several weeks before the spirochetes are even addressed. This protocol has not yet been standardized, but it generally includes a combination of enzymes that digest it and pathogen absorbing substances that slowly erode it.
Since parasites live off of corrupted flesh, which they think is tasty, Borrelia burgdorferi is attracted to tissues that have been disturbed by heavy metals and xenobiotics (chemical estrogens from car exhaust, plastic, etc.). Once attached to our flesh, they can exist inside of us for years, making us miserable, while they, themselves, live comfortably in an environment that is perfectly suited to their needs and lifestyle.
Lyme disease is carried by many kinds of ticks, and has many forms. This could account for the wide range of symptoms it produces. Some people also believe that it could be carried by fleas, mites, mosquitoes, and stinging flies, as well. Other people believe it can be spread by human sexual contact. There is a lot of evidence to indicate that it could also be passed down to the fetus if a mother has Lyme disease while pregnant. This is the theory behind the connection of Lyme disease with regressive autism. Many times the mother has a sub-clinical case of it and does not even know she has it. There are also many documented cases in which an expectant mother was bitten by a tick during pregnancy. In some of these cases the child was born with birth defects or even died. mmmm
Regressive autism is the term given to children who seem to be born normal but then begin to regress into their own world, becoming non-communicative and non-relational around the age of two. Holistic doctors who treat these autistic children have discovered that they are highly toxic because of the many co-existing infections they possess, which often include not only B burgorferri, but other parasites, bacteria, molds, chemicals, food sensitivities, viruses, candida, heavy metals, and environmental pollutants. When all the toxic pollution is extracted from their bodies, they get well and awaken, as if from a bad dream that temporarily drove them insane and stole their life. Since so much of this pollution is neurotoxic, this makes sense.
Like all life forms, Borrelia burgdorferi feels threatened by electromagnetic energy, which, paradoxically, cause it to thrive.
When any pathogen is put into a petri dish, it will double itself within a specific amount of time. If you bathe that pathogen in electromagnetic energy (the same kind we are being bathed in every day due to cell towers, cell phones, cordless phones, microwaves, computers, etc.), I have read that the pathogen will reproduce itself ten times faster than normal. The reason why is not known, but it is theorized that the pathogen believes it is being attacked. In an attempt to survive, it rapidly reproduces itself. Not only will the electromagnetic energy cause pathogens to thrive, electromagnetic energy is also toxic to our neurons.
If you are wondering why ticks are bothering humanity in a way they never seemed to before, I believe it is because Lyme disease is a multidimensional, multifactorial disease that includes an array of factors, not just the spirochetes.
At this time on the planet the conditions are perfect for it to arise for we have disturbed the ecological balance of the earth.
As homeostasis has been breached, it’s not just humans who are struggling to survive, but all life forms.
Dr. Klinghardt, an expert on Lyme disease and autism, stated in an audio interview he did with Dr. Mercola, that he believes that most people have Lyme disease. The only difference is that some have active symptoms and some do not. The people most at risk for active disease of “unknown cause” are the infants and children whose immune systems are far too immature to handle the amount of pollution we have on our planet today. Right now, one out of one hundred children are being diagnosed with regressive autism. Many more have been diagnosed with ADHD (hyperactivity). Childhood bipolar disease is also on the rise. Childhood bipolar disease, which was unknown two decades ago, causes a child to throw uncontrollable temper tantrums they never seem to outgrow. I believe that these are all different forms of the same problem. The problem is not spirochetes, which we lived with in homeostasis for thousands of years. Rather, it is the degradation of our food supply, environmental pollution, including invisible pollutants like microwaves from cell towers, toxic pharmaceuticals, and all the other chemicals we've introduced into our environment that the body cannot metabolize or handle. As always the most innocent suffer the greatest consequences to the destruction of our environment.
Add to that the insanity that circumscribes our lives. High stress causes cortisol to dump into our bodies. Cortisol is another neurotoxin and a deadly poison. In particular it impacts the hippocampus of the brain where our short term memory is stored, poisoning it little by little, day after day.
Many of us live highly stressful lives and those of you who are single parents or who cope with failing partnerships, unending conflict, live in poverty, who care for a disabled or dying person, or are disabled and unable to work yourself, have it far worse than all the rest. Each time you feel less than peaceful, cortisol flows through your veins wrecking havoc with your immune system, killing brain cells, and altering your DNA. This is another way in which we are being poisoned from within. There is no herb, nutrient, or pharmaceutical that will heal this.
Unfortunately, many who suffer from Lyme disease will never get the help they need.
Partly, this is due to the fact that mainstream medicine believes that Lyme disease is easily killed with a two to six week course of antibiotics, which many sufferers have had with no remittance of symptoms. It also believes that there are only a few cases of it in America, rather than being an epidemic as many alternative doctors believe. Because allopathic medicine determines the "standard of care" for all diseases, most doctors who have not done additional research will follow this even if it is inadequate. Also, insurance companies only pay for "standard" therapies and nothing alternative or unorthodox. Therefore, because so few MD's treat it adequately, people are left with no recourse other than to seek alternative healing which they must pay for out-of-pocket whether they have insurance or not. Because it takes a long time to heal Lyme disease no matter what kind of therapy you are using, it becomes a very costly illness.
Another reason that people don't get the help they need is due to the way the disease mimics so many other high-profile diseases with "no known cause".
If one is not diagnosed correctly, they will be treated incorrectly with lots of toxic pharmaceuticals which may alleviate some of their symptoms but will do nothing to cure their disease.
This means they will continue to take toxic drugs for the rest of their lives, which would have done as much to decrease their wellness as the Lyme disease itself. This is what would have happened to me if I had believed my first diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis and been willing to take pharmaceuticals for it as my doctors wanted me to. It is exactly what happened to a friend of mine who was diagnosed with MS just two years ago. It was her eye doctor who turned her on to the fact that her optic neuritis could not only be caused by MS, but by Lyme disease, as well. When she asked her regular MD for a Lyme test, he refused, telling her that she was in denial and would not give it to her, for she had all the symptoms of MS. After getting a correct diagnosis by an alternative MD who was willing to give her an appropriate test, she sought alternative treatment with a natural healer and found healing within two years using alternative therapies alone. Unfortunately, this scenario is very similar to many of the other stories I've been reading about as I've done the research for this webpage. Without being armed with the truth, it is easy to become a victim of the system and to be guided into following the wrong protocol.
Conversely, I have another friend who went to the same doctor. After taking the blood test for Lyme, she was diagnosed with not only Lyme disease, but numerous co-occurring infections, as well. She had been sick for years with strange symptoms that seemed to take away her life force, caused heart problems, and gave her an inability to think and track correctly. She chose to take high doses of antibiotics for months. She reported being on three different kinds of antibiotics, and taking "more antibiotics in one day than most people take in a week". She had to take several different kinds of antibiotics because each of the co-occuring infections responded to different medications. After over a year on this regimen, her life force slowly returned to her and she got better. I know that with my sensitive immune system my body would never have tolerated such an onslaught of antibiotics, but this friend claims her body could not tolerate supplements or herbal treatments. If there is one thing that Lyme disease should be teaching us all, it is that "one size" simply does not fit all of us. Each must seek their own kind of healing in their own unique way.
Lyme disease, with its numerous co-occurring infections, and all its mental symptoms is a poster child for disease in the twenty-first century.
As healers with vision unravel its mysteries, they are slowly but surely beginning to understand how to heal it. Because, for the most part, allopathic medicine denies its complexity, and insurance companies won’t pay for it, and because many are not interested in, or can’t afford, two or more years worth of invasive antibiotics, many are seeking alternative cures. When these cures are applied scientifically and in a specific order by a knowledgeable physician or healer, Lyme disease is not impossible to heal. In addition, Lyme disease seems to be teaching us that the integrative approach is far superior to allopathic medicine alone, which is not something that the Center for Disease Control wants to hear.
Since I am not a doctor, there is very little I know about medicine. However, since I've done a lot of healing in my life, I know quite a bit about that. I believe that what I was taught about healing from the time I was a child still holds true today. In order to create healing one must create the conditions within the body that will allow healing to unfold. Without these conditions, healing is not possible. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. When I was young I believed that in order to stay healthy, I needed to eat a healthy diet, and get plenty of sleep and exercise. I also intuitively knew that it was important for me to avoid all toxic substances like cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol. Because of my poor response to antibiotics and other prescribed drugs, I also figured out in my early twenties, that it was important for me to stay away from both over-the-counter and pharmaceutical drugs, as well. Although my idea of a healthy diet has evolved, I also intuitively knew that a healthy diet did not include eating a lot of processed fast food or sugary junk food. However, I knew nothing about the effects of radiation on my 6 week old thyroid, heavy metals and other environmental toxins I took in without even knowing it, or the impact of parasites, bacteria, and other pathogens I've had to deal with from time to time throughout my life. These are the things I've had to learn about in the school of hard knocks.
Because of the way Lyme disease incapacitated my immune system, and because of the early radiation that I had on my thymus at 6 weeks of age, I managed to get very sick even though I tenaciously adhered to the principles of good health just described. However, it is possible that I may have gotten even sicker if I had not. As I researched what to do to heal myself, what follows are a few of the protocols I used that allowed me to finally accomplish my goal of complete healing. When I say complete healing, I mean one in which I have an over-flowing abundance of energy, have good focus and concentration, sleep deeply without waking eight hours almost every night, and am seldom bothered by aches and pains of any kind, including colds and flu's. I love my work and am deeply engaged in my life. To me, this is paradise. My healing unfolded a little bit at a time over many years as I figured out what I needed to do to correct the unhealthy conditions in my body. If you are interested in exploring a similar protocol here are the steps I took to finally heal myself.
1. First do a hair analysis to discover what heavy metals are being stored in your body. This can be done quite inexpensively without a doctor’s prescription and can be done over the Internet. Once you discover what heavy metals you’ve got, do what it takes to rid yourself of them. This test will also tell you about your mineral stores. If you are low on any one of them, take the appropriate high-quality ionic supplements to increase them. The ones I sell on this website are excellent, far superior to any others I have ever taken. Getting adequate minerals is imperative if one is to heal tissues damaged by heavy metals. (See heavy metal pages for specific details.)
2. Because poorly tolerated food is toxic to the body, if you have any symptoms of food sensitivity, do a food sensitivity test. In my opinion, electrodermal screening is the best. Either avoid the foods you are sensitive to or heal your body‘s reaction. (See food sensitivity page.) Food sensitivity testing does not need a doctor’s prescription and a dry blood test can be ordered over the Internet.
3. If you have any symptoms of dysbiosis (indigestion and stomach pain) there are several things you can do. If you believe your problem is enzyme deficiency, do a Loomis twenty-four hour urine test, which will tell you what food you are not digesting properly. Then take enzyme supplements to address the problem. Thke best are called Therazymes. There are also excellent products for candida, and some good herbs that kill bsacteria and parasites. Taking appropriate supplements is imperative if you want to heal dysbiosis. (See indigestion page for further details.)
4. If you need more information than the twenty-four hour urine test can give you, try to find a doctor who will prescribe an organic acid test, which reveals an individual’s metabolic strengths and weaknesses. An organic acid test must be ordered by a physician. Specifically, it tests for the B vitamins, vitamin C, and some minerals and amino acids. It also tests for exposure to a variety of toxins and for the body’s ability to detoxify itself. It tests for methylation insufficiencies, mitochondrial energy, and specific dysbiosis markers for bacterial and yeast overgrowth. In addition, it tests for certain neurotransmitter deficiencies, one’s ability to metabolize carbohydrates and fatty acids, and a variety of other nutrients like CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, l-carnitine, acidophilus, and others. Correct whatever deficiencies you have by taking high quality supplements.
5. If you have ever taken antibiotics or if you have ever maintained a high-sugar diet, have diabetes, etc. and have any of the symptoms of candida, consider treating yourself for candida by taking the over-the-counter supplements I discuss on the indigestion page. No doctor prescription is necessary and these products work well.
6. Check your hormones, especially your thyroid, adrenal, and reproductive hormones if you are past menopause and have symptoms of deficiency. Because today’s thyroid tests are inaccurate, you must ask your doctor to test you for TSH, free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies to be accurate. Do what it takes to correct these problem. It is best to use the saliva test to check the level of your reproductive hormones. (See laboratory test page.) Both these tests must be ordered by a doctor. See hypothyroid page for how to test your thyroid without a doctor's prescription.
7. Eat a natural, organic, nutrient dense diet, full of delicious smoothies and home-made fresh vegetable and fruit juices. Eat lots of fresh raw food right out of the garden if you’ve got one. That’s the only way you can be certain your food is wholesome and has not been irradiated. This diet is cleansing to the system. It is also alkaline forming. Macrobiotic simply means all-natural. No fake foods or sugary sweets included. If you eat what God intended us to eat, you can't go wrong.
8. If your doctor permits it, exercise whether you feel like it or not. Exercise not only tones the muscles and reduces insulin, it provides the body with life-giving oxygen, without which you can’t heal. If you do exercises that you don’t enjoy, or if you over-do it, you’ll stop, so only do exercises that you enjoy and stop before you are tired. Exercise, such as walking or gardening can also be a relaxing, meditative activity that allows you to de-stress. However, for an exercise program to be most effective it should include aerobics, strength training and stretching.
If you are too tired to exercise, consider getting a water ozonator to get extra oxygen into your blood, or else buy and use an oxygen compactor to get additional oxygen. Ozonated water also helps detoxify the body. (This is what is used at oxygen bars.)
It is also good to do breathing exercises. Andrew Weil presents a good one in his excellent book Spontaneous Healing. Simply breathe in through your nose to a count of eight. Pause for a count of eight. Exhale through your mouth to a count of eight. Do a few sets of these several times a day. It’s free and there is no prescription needed. (The eight count is relative, of course, as it depends on how fast or slow you count. I find it to be most effective when I don’t stress myself, keeping a more or less natural rhythm with a slow, deep inhale through the nose, and then a short pause before I slowly exhale completely through the mouth.) To add extra electromagnetic healing, you can visualize the colors of the chakras with each breath, imagining that each color fills the lungs and then is disseminated throughout the body on the exhale.
9. Strengthen your blood, lymph, digestive tract, and liver by drinking herb teas and tonics that support these organs. If you are experiencing cleansing reactions that create painful headaches and other symptoms of toxic overload as a result of killing spirochetes, candida, or cancer cells, you might consider doing coffee enemas for pain relief. (See the liver detox page.) Enemas can also help remove heavy metals while detoxifying.
10. If you have parasites, spirochetes, or other related bacteria or pathogens you can work toward getting rid of your biofilm by researching a protocol that you can afford and that you feel will work for you. I have written about one below but there are other ones you can find if you do an internet search. This does not need a doctor’s prescription to do.
11. Kill your parasites, spirochetes, bacteria, viruses, or fungus. This can be done either allopathically through antibiotic therapy, by using herbs, tinctures, and essential oils, by taking homeopathic remedies, using the Salt C protocol, by using frequencies of energy to kill pathogens (Rife machines), or through blood electrification using the Bob Beck protocol. If you decide to use antibiotics rather than herbal remedies, I have read that removing the biofilm even helps them be more effective.
12. If, after doing all this, you are still experiencing symptoms of anxiety, depression, moodiness, etc., check your neurotransmitters and balance them using amino acid therapy.
13. Most important of all, if you are sick say your prayers, ask your innermost self, your higher power, or God by whatever name you call Him/Her/It to heal you, walk in faith, knowing (not hoping) that healing will be gifted to you when the time is right and not one minute before. If you believe in the Law of Attraction you will realize that healing is attracted to you by holding a frame of mind that brings it to you. That frame of mind is encompassed by thought, feeling and action. Healing has nothing to do with blind faith. It has to do with the actions you take to create it. To hold the resonance of healing, you must fully comprehend what healing consists of and how to do it. You must also be willing to change any lifestyle habits that are counterproductive to your goal. I believe that detoxification and nutritional rejuvenation are two of the things we must do to create an inner environment that is "attractive" to good health.
14. In addition, because trauma damages us more than just physically, if you have been emotionally damaged by your life experience as most of us have been, you must heal yourself energetically by releasing all the feelings you have connected to the traumatizing events in your life. If you need therapy to deal with emotional trauma or addiction, get the appropriate counseling you need either from a trained therapist or a spiritual healer. A wonderful technique that many people can do on their own is Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT), which is a way of moving the energy through your body by tapping on specific meridian points. Though I won't detail this process here, sufice it to say that it is easy to learn and many can do it on their own. There are many hundreds of pages on the Internet where you can find out how to do it. If you are interested incontacting a spiritual healer, I offer my services as a channel and teacher. See my page on spiritual healing for more details.
As you begin to heal you will feel better and better. After having known ill health and then doing all the work involved to create self-healing, behaving in a way that is self-destructive will eventually become unthinkable to you. At that point, you will know that you have been truly healed.
I got this information from a variety of websites, oral presentations, books, and the July, 2009 issue of the Townsend Letter, which is an excellent magazine for alternative healing. In his article Naturopathic Approaches to Lyme Disease Treatment, Dr. Nicola McFadzean, ND, lists several antimicrobials that are useful in Lyme disease. He states that the best among them are Semento (Cat's Claw), Teasel, and Guaicum all of which have spirochete killing properties. Also good are colloidal silver and Allicillin (an extract of garlic). The best antimicrobial for babesiosis is Artemesinin. Wild Oregano oil, clove, pau d’arco, and garlic are great for prevention and as adjuvant therapies. They are also good for killing candida.
Dr. Klinghardt, MD says that Rizole Gamma, which contains ozonated oils of Artemisia, clove and walnut is excellent for killing just about any parasite. His protocol is to take twenty drops at least three times a day. Rizole Zeta, containing ozonated Artemisia, clove, black cumin, walnut and moxa oil is good for killing viruses such as herpes, EBV, CMV, and HHV-6. Larrea tridentate and olive leaf are two key herbs with antiviral activity. For more specific information about rizole oils and Lyme disease in general, see klinghardtneurobiology.com. In addition, Dr. Klinghardt states that killing spirochetes is easier to do if you've rid the body of heavy metals first. Rizole oils can be purchased at biopureus.com.
Another interesting protocol I’ve read about is the Salt C protocol. The theory behind it is simple. In olden times before refrigeration, we used to preserve our meat with salt. Therefore, we got a lot of sodium in our diets. It is believed that the sodium that killed the parasites that would have spoiled our meat if it had not been preserved in this way did double duty by also killing parasites that might be living in our bodies. The protocol is to take 1 tablespoon of pure sodium chloride (pure unadulterated salt - not iodized table salt) in divided doses, either on food or in water throughout the day. Then drink lots of water to flush out the debris. The vitamin C is taken at a dose of 500 mg four times a day. It is used to regenerate the tissues after the parasites are killed.
The website that explains this protocol can be found at http://lymephotos.com/. It has some great before and after pictures of parasites that have been desiccated after engaging in the Salt C protocol. This protocol must be continued for several months to two years depending upon how long you’ve had Lyme disease. That’s because there are billions of parasites in the body, all at varying stages of development. When they are in the cyst stage they can’t be killed. Thus, anything you do to rid yourself of parasites must be done for a long, long time. Like cancer, if even one parasite remains, it will regenerate a whole new crop to repopulate your body.
I read one account of a man who said he got positive results using only half as much salt. However, another man said the high salt diet raised his blood pressure after a few weeks, so he discontinued it. I read many more accounts of people who used it as an adjuvant therapy and felt that it was an important part of their overall protocol. After reading his website, you will have to decide for yourself.
Another interesting therapy is bee venon therapy.
It seems that bee venom has a 26 chain amino acid peptide in it called militin that kills the Lyme spirochete. It also contains the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, and norepeniphrine which help to facilitate nerve transmission and healing in many nerve disorders. Besides having a positive affect on Lyme disease, bee venom therapy also improves the symptoms of MS, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease, as well as neuropathy, arthritis, bursitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, and many other diseases. Today, the venom is extracted from the bees, and, along with an agent that ameliorates the pain of bee stings, is injected into people through a hypodermic needle. Although frequently highly effective, Dr. Klinghardt says that he discontinues this treatment after four sessions if no improvement is observed. For more information on this type of therapy go to beewelltherapy.com.
To erode biofilms which can be anywhere in the body where microbes hide, including root canaled teeth, not just the digestive tract, you must take a fibrin eating enzyme to digest it.
Some alternative healers believe that the enzyme lumbrokinase is best to begin digesting it. Other healers favor Serepeptase. Dr. Klinghardt, MD believes that Rechts-Regulat is the best enzyme blend available for digesting biofilms. It is a German-made product made from a varety of fermented fruits and vegetablesthat you can buy at biopureus.com. It also digests mold and amoebas.
Dr. Usman’s biofilm protocol is to:
- first take whatever enzyme you choose to digest the biofilm 30 to 60 minutes after eating.
- Than use a heavy metal chelator to grab hold of whatever metals are in the matrix that the enzymes have set free.
Dr. Klinghardt says that OSR with Phospholipid Exchange is excellent as this combo chelates just about everything. It also crosses the blood/brain barrier, which removes heavy metals from the brain. He says chlorella and cilantro are good too and that they must be taken together as well. The OSR and Phospholipid Exchange are purchased separately at http://biopureus.com/ and must be mixed together into a paste before placing in your mouth. They are quite expensive but well worth it. Dr. Klinghardt actually has an excellent detailed protocol for removing many different kinds of heavy metals, which can be viewed at klinghardtneurobioloby.com. In addition, he mentions the importance of saturating your cells with adequate minerals and lipids, as cells that are poorly nourished are more vulnerable to heavy metal poisoning. He reports that psychological factors and early childhood trauma are also an important consideration when it comes to detoxification, for unhealed trauma will cause the body to hang on to toxins, or merely redistribute them. My favorite chelator is zeolite, which is a volcanic ash that is especially formulated to remove heavy metals. I also eat lots of cilantro by blending it into my smoothies and take additional chlorella tablets when I drink my smoothies. Along with saunas, these two natural protocols have worked well for me.
For those of you who aren't sensitive to pharmaceuticals, or who want a more mainstream pharmaceutical drug, Dr. Nicola McFadzean uses a different protocol for chelating heavy metals.
He says that 100 mg of DMSA can be given once every three nights, along with alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, and NAC. He says this is gentle and effective, but must be taken over several months to see a positive result. Remember to always take high quality minerals when chelating to replace any that have been removed with the heavy metals. (See the July, 2009 issue of the Townsend Newsletter for more details.)
Dr. Mark Hyman, MD says on his blog on mercury chelation to take 100-250 mg of DMSA 3 times a day for three days. Then take eleven days off. Repeat this cycle for 6 months. He says it is also good to take intravenous glutathione, vitamin C, antioxidants, phospholipids, and B vitamins if you can find a doctor who will give this to you. To view his blog presentation on the subject, go to http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/mercury-toxicity.
In her book Detoxify or Die, Dr. Sherry Rogers, MD gives another protocol. She says to take one heaping teaspoon of Vitamin C powder, 300-600 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid, and 400-800 mg of glutathione in the form of Recancostat. She says this is a good all-purpose formula for detoxifying many environmental pollutants, as well as heavy metals like mercury. She says this is a good formula to take once or twice a day as it revs up both phases of detoxification, but it only works best after the main bulk of heavy metals have been removed. To do that, you may want to add DMSA in the schedule described above by either Drs. Mark Hyman or Nicola McFadzean. You can buy DMSA, or a more natural product like Zeolite (Natural Cellular Defense) over the Internet without a doctor’s prescription.
- After waiting thirty minutes or so for the chelator to take effect, then take whatever antibiotic or antimicrobial that you have chosen to use to kill the parasite or virus that you’ve got.
- One to two hours later, clean-up the mess with activated charcoal, alginate, bentonite clay, chlorella, zeolite, and/or pectin. Just like in your water purifier, activated charcoal is nearly miraculous at absorbing toxins. It is best to take a powdered form, as it has more surface area to absorb toxin then a tablet.
- It is also good to take a non-psyllium based fiber cleanse product to remove the dead parasites and heavy metals out of your system as quickly as possible. Ground flax seeds are good. As flax goes rancid quickly, I grind them myself in a coffee grinder just prior to using them and put them in a smoothie along with activated charcoal and pectin, which is a protocol that I use simply as part of my health maintenance regime to maintain regularity. You can also use LifeCleanse by Eniva. It contains rice bran fiber and gaur gum, both good cleansing fibers, as well as many herbs good for cleansing the liver.
- If you are quite constipated, you can also add extra minerals to a fruit and fiber rich smoothie, particularly magnesium. I think the cell ready minerals are the best, as it has plenty of magnesium in it along with a generous supply of 13 other minerals. It can be purchased at this website.
- A cheaper alternative, but not as good for you is Milk of Magnesia, which works well for occassional constipation, but does nothing to nourish your cells or chelate heavy metals and ionic minerals do.
- Dr. Mark Hyman says that it is important to have at least two bowel movements per day when detoxifying heavy metals. Otherwise, the metals may be reabsorbed to further damage more tissues. If you need to increase your movements, try fiber first, then Cell Ready Minerals by Eniva.
- Because you will be removing good bacteria as well as bad, be sure to take a high quality probiotic, as well. However, do not take it at the same time as the enzymes or antimicrobials, as the enzymes will digest them before they even get to where they need to go. As probiotics are live bacteria, the antimicrobials will kill it just as readily as they will kill your pathogens. The Threelac, Fivelac, Saccharomyces boulardii, and/or VSL # 3 described on the indigestion page are all good choices.
So to recap, first break down the biofilm with fibrin-eating enzymes. Second, remove heavy metals that have been set free from the matrix. Third, take antimicrobials. Fourth, clear away debris with a colon cleanse. Last, repopulate good bacteria with a probiotic. Wait an appropriate amount of time between each step to give the product time to do its work. That’s all there is to it.
Although he gives the protocol for doing so, Dr. Hyman, MD states that the removal of heavy metals should be supervised by a trained professional and should not be attempted on your own. The reason for this is that cleansing reactions can be intense. Also, if you do not use a strong enough chelator, the metals may get disturbed, but they won’t leave the body, which means they can do more damage to your tissues as they settle someplace else. It is important to note that heavy metal chelation is a long, slow process and that there are no fast and easy cures. Depending on how much you've got, it can take as long as two or more years to get rid of them. It should also be closely monitored with hair analysis to make sure progress is being made. Before and after tests are important, as well, to make sure you’ve accomplished your goal. See the heavy metal detox page for specific details.
In addition, if your disease state has made you highly inflamed be sure to eat a high quality natural food diet, as well as take anti-inflammatory products like an omega 3 fatty acid supplement (the ground flax seeds have plenty of this), two to four grams daily (Krill oil is also good), antioxidants, curcumin, and fermented foods high in enzymes.
Anti-inflammatory herbs are white willow, tumeric, and holy basil. I have found the best course of action if one has inflammation issues is to do the Loomis 24-hour urine test to target the exact enzymes needed to solve the problem.
Dr. Nicola McFadzean, ND, also states that one should support the immune system if it is weakened. He reports that Transfer Factor stimulates natural killer cells, as well as herbs, such as astragalus, elderberry, and olive leaf. Medicinal mushroom extracts are also good, but could exacerbate candida problems if you‘ve got them.
Dr. Usman says that biofilm removal is not an exact science and that she is still experimenting with the protocol. Her main research has been with autistic spectrum children who are highly toxic, filled with heavy metals, and often have Lyme disease. You can view her excellent PowerPoint presentation on the topic at www.authorstream.com.
I’m also a huge believer in synergy.
In herbalism, one is taught that numerous herbs working together in synergy do a better job than single formulas.
Although there is an art to it, the general principle, it seems to me, is to not put all your eggs in one basket.
There are two other ways to kill parasites that have nothing to do with taking supplements.
1. One is through Rife technology. Around the turn of the century, Raymond Royal Rife discovered a way to figure out the vibrational frequency of literally everything, including all pathogens. He also discovered that if you apply a harmonic of that frequency, you can kill the pathogen without damaging healthy cells. He created something that is today called a Rife Machine, which looks like a small box that resonates the frequencies. Of course, in his time, his machine took up a whole room. Unfortunately, his technology had to go underground for many years as his life and work were threatened by large corporations who did not want competition for their protocol. These machines are now available over the Internet for varying amounts of money. There have been good results killing spirochetes using them. There has even been a book written about it called Lyme disease and Rife Machines, by Bryan Rosner, in which he describes the entire protocol. However, there are over three hundred different strains of Lyme disease, as well as co-occuring infections. In order for a Rife machine to work, you must use the exact frequency needed to kill the bacteria you are trying to kill. When a Rife machine does not work, it is because this frequency hasn't been used. Finding the right frequency, therefore, can be a challenge.
2. The Bob Beck Protocol is similar but not the same. In 1992, Bob Beck, who is now dead, was a physicist who discovered a cure for AIDS by using blood electrification. He realized that all the blood in your body goes through the two arteries on either side of your wrist every two hours. By placing a small electric current over these two pulses every pathogen can be killed. In addition, he realized that pathogens tend to hide in the lymph nodes, organs, and root canaled teeth. He then invented a machine called a magnetic pulsar that forces the pathogens out of the node or organ and into the blood stream, where they can then be killed through electrification. He also advocated the use of colloidal silver, which also kills pathogens, and ozonated water, which is a great detoxifier. He claims that this four part protocol could not only heal AIDS, but cancer and any other disease caused by parasites, viruses, or other pathogens.
There are many Lyme disease sufferers who have used both of these methods to achieve success. Although the initial expense of these protocols are costly, once purchased, you do not have the on-going expense of endless supplements. They both also work for multiple diseases and can be used over and over throughout your life as the need arises. Both protocols are time-consuming, however. As always, spirochetes take a long time to kill because they tend to go into the cyst stage when threatened. Again, these protocols take consistent effort over the long-haul if they are to be successful.
It is always best to find a great doctor who can help you with all your health issues, but if you can’t find one or are too poor to afford one, it is my opinion that you will have to do the best you can.
As a psychotherapist who has worked in numerous low-income clinics, I know that there are many people in America today who cannot afford good health care. Unfortunately, people who are too sick to work are the least able to afford much of anything. There is no shame in this. The shame is on our country for allowing this to happen. Unfortunately, most really good doctors also cost a lot of money. Because they are tired of being hassled by insurance companies, many no longer take insurance. Also, they can be fined for practicing outside the "standard of care". Since herbal medicine is outside the standard of care, if an MD prescribed two or three herbs to be taken along with antibiotics, he/she could be fined $10,000 per herb for each patient they have been prescribed for. Obviously, this could completely wreck a physician's life. Because Lyme literate doctors often practice outside the standard of care, they are unable to take insurance, which means that you will have to pay for each visit and all your lab work out-of-pocket. This cost can be exorbitant and prohibitive.
Lots of supplements are also costly, especially the high quality ones. Because healing Lyme disease takes time, effort, and costs money to achieve, you must do the best you can with what you’ve got. If you are consistent, detoxify yourself of heavy metals first, maintain a good quality diet, stop taking in anti-nutrients and toxins, create a spirochete protocol you can afford, address your traumatic experiences, work closely with your higher power to continuously evolve your consciousness, and don’t give up, you will eventually be rewarded with a slow but steady return to health. Therefore, I’ve tried to give inexpensive options as well as expensive one’s. As I know what it is like to be sick and miserable for years on end, and be unable to find or pay for good health care, it is my deepest desire for you to find the healing you seek. Before engaging in any of the protocols I’ve discussed, I highly recommend that you more thoroughly research the links, as all I've done here is condense and paraphrase the work of others. To read about how I healed myself of Lyme disease, go to http://www.livelongercleanse.com/page/398527692.
The Eniva Liquid Vitamins and Minerals are products for our times. Because they are nanonized into extremely fine particles, they are 99% absorbable, which means they work almost instantly. VIBE, in particular, is an exceptional cellular defense product, ideal for combating free radicals that ravage our bodies every day. It is an all-in-one liquid blend of essential nutrients, powerful antioxidants, concentrated minerals and vitamins, and green tea extracts.
ResVante is an anti-aging formula that is the only liquid nutritional that contains trans-resveratrol. Vibe and all of Eniva's fine products can be purchased from my satelite website. Sign-up to become a preferred customer to get the cheapest prices.